How Do I Add My Domain Name To My New Website
June 17, 2020
After you have placed your order and our team have built your new website for you, it’s likely that you will want to connect your own domain name to your new website.
We’ve got some good news! Connecting your own domain name to your new website is not only free but is also really easy to do.
If you don’t already own your own domain name, you can purchase one from Namecheap.
Once your new website is finished, we will provide you with an IP address for your website that will look like this: 123.123.456.456
We’ve written some general instructions which you should be able to follow on most domain registrar websites but we have also written some more accurate instructions for some specific websites below that…
- log-in to where your domain name is registered
- Locate your domain name this may be located in a section called ‘domains’
- There should be an option for ‘DNS Settings’ which you should click
- You will see a list of DNS records and in the 1st column will be the record type. You need to update the ‘A’ record.
- If there is more than one ‘A’ record, look for the ‘A’ record which has either your domain name or simply an ‘@’ symbol in the ‘Name’ column.
- Once you have located the correct record, simply copy the IP address we have sent you and paste it into the ‘Value’ column.
- Click save changes
- Visit godaddy.com
- Click ‘Sign In’ from the menu and then the ‘Sign In’ button
- Enter your log-in details and click ‘Sign In’
- Scroll down to the section that says ‘All Products and Services’
- Open the ‘Domains’ section if it’s not open already
- At the end of the row of the domain you want to use, click ‘DNS’
- You will see a list of DNS records. In the 1st column will be the record type. You need to update the ‘A’ record which has either your domain name or simply an ‘@’ symbol in the ‘Name’ column.
- Once you have located the correct record, simply click the pencil icon
- Copy the IP address we have sent you and paste it into the box below ‘Points to’
- Click save changes
That’s it! Your domain name is now pointing at your new website.
It can take up to 48 hours for some domains to fully process this change (known as propagation) but it’s usually much faster than that.
Be sure to confirm back to us once you have made this change as we will need to tweak a few settings on our side to complete the process.